Click for Info about Intensive IELTS Preparation Course
The IELTS Writing Paper 2 (Academic Module) tests your written English abilities in many areas relevant to further study. The proper use of vocabulary, grammar, organisation and coherence is included and this is the more difficult of the two writing papers.
- Analyse the question. It is often in two parts: a background statement and specific aspect of that. Make sure you are answering about that aspect not the general topic.
- Paragraph your answer. A good answer should be 3 or 4 paragraphs. As a guide, the intro should be approx. 50 words; main body 170; and conclusion 30 to 40. But these amounts are guides not rules.
- Use a variety of sentence lengths and types. In particular, the use of complex sentences (ones with subordination/dependent clauses) are considered a sign of good writing.
- Link paragraphs and sentences well. Your paragraphs should not be able to be 'moved' within the essay and the sense and progress of it maintained. Sentences should be linked, but do not overuse conjunctions. Good writing does not endlessly use the same subject for sentences. Rather, pronouns or synonyms are substituted for it.
- Don't copy the question. This will not count.
- Spend about 40 minutes on this task (Compared with 20 minutes for Writing Paper 1)
HKEnglish.Com runs intensive IELTS Exam preparation and Academic English courses all year round in Hong Kong. For more information please Contact Us
The best way to learn to pass the IELTS exam is to take an IELTS Preparation Course