Summer English Courses - Hong Kong SAR, China 2020
Classes available in May, June, July, August and September (Last enrolment September 1st).
General English for School and University - Code HK-GES
This course is designed to improve overall English proficiency in all four ares
- Reading Skills - Effective strategies for improved reading
- Writing - Formal writing for essays, projects and tutorials
- Listening - Effective listening techniques to enable deep understanding
- Speaking - Clear and correct use of voice
- English Grammar
It is a modular course and suitable for students at all levels. An entrance placement test (grammar and pronunciation) is required.
The focus is on general topics and enhanced English standards. Essay writing and lecture note taking is included.
This is a 12 hour course: 6 classes of 2 hours each
Speaking. Listening and Pronunciation Course Code HK-SLP
The speaking and listening course will build proficiency and accuracy in spoken English. Most Hong Kong students don’t have enough time to practice their oral English skills and so this course focuses entirely on building confidence and accuracy.
Students will also learn idioms, phrasal verbs and common English phrases useful for studying overseas at boarding school or university. The course will also include English pronunciation and intonation lessons with the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet).
- English Conversation - Formal and Informal
- Phrasal Verbs
- Giving advice
- Group discussion skills
- Polite and Formal spoken English
The workshop lasts 10 hours and there are five tutorial lessons of 2hrs each.
Academic English Writing For Further Study Course Code HK-AWFS
This course is designed to build academic English writing skills to prepare students for studying at boarding school, college and university in Hong Kong or overseas.
- Course Content
- Planning and organising an essay
- Brainstorming ideas and mind maps
- Understanding essay questions
- Formal language for essay writing
- Paragraph structure, Topic Sentences and Supporting sentences
- Cohesive devices & cohesion
- Correct use of connecting words and phrases
- Effective research strategies
- Paraphrasing and quoting external sources
- Writing effective introductions
- How to write a conclusion
- Drafting, proofreading and editing essays
- Descriptive essays
- Argumentative style essays
- Referencing systems: Harvard and APA
This is a ten hour course 1-1 tutorial style course consisting of five two hour classes
IELTS Summer Preparation Course Code HK-ILTSThis is an intensive course designed to prepare students for taking the IELTS exam for university entrance (bachelor or masters degree courses) or for the HK CEPA exit exam. IELTS is most useful for entrance into university in these countries:
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
The course covers all four papers
- Speaking - Parts 1, 2 and 3
- Writing - Paper 1 and Paper 2
- Listening - Sections 1,2,3 and 4
- Reading - Parts 1-3
There are 5 lessons of 2 hours each.
The tutors for this course are all experienced native speakers from the UK.
Overall academic English proficiency will be improved after taking this course including effective strategies for reading English textbooks, taking notes at university, listening to lectures and speaking with tutors and other students.
Other Academic English Courses for Hong Kong students
TOEFL iBT Preparation Course
First Certificate in English (FCE) Exam Preparation Course - Code HK-FCE
UNIVERSITY AND SCHOOLS ENTRANCE INTERVIEW SKILLS COURSE - Code HK-USA-UK
PRESENTATION SKILLS AND PUBLIC SPEAKING COURSE - Code HK-PR10